History of Pinebrook Assembly of God
The history of Pinebrook Assembly of God parallels that of many of our
assemblies throughout the country. Soon after the turn of the century as the
outpouring of the Holy Spirit was realized with the evidence of speaking in
tongues, the pentecostal message was heard and accepted by seeking believers in
The denominational churches readily denounced these people, termed ‘radicals,
compelling them to meet in homes. These gatherings were called ‘cottage’ prayer
meetings where believers were encouraged to seek for the baptism of the Holy
This church had its beginning in such a group in 1916.
As this congregation in Naugatuck grew in number, it began holding services
in Reubins Hall on South Main Street for several years. In 1935 the church
moved into a church on Prospect Street that had been rented to them for 100
years, providing it would always house a Bible-believing assembly. A series of
pastors served this congregation of between 20-40 members, then known as Full
In 1963 Pastor Edwin Antin had the vision of the church acquiring property
and led in buying a parsonage at 10 Caroline Circle. During the tenure of the
next pastor, Rev. Richard Babcock the church attendance increased to the point
of filling the church auditorium to capacity, and the search began for a piece
of property on which to build a larger sanctuary.
After much prayer, the property on the corner of City Hill and Wooster
Streets miraculously became available–nearly five acres, including a house- for
$40,000.00! This was cause of great rejoicing as the congregation took a step
of faith, sold the house at Caroline Circle, and renovated the house on the
property for use as a parsonage.
Pastor Coleman Barlow arrived as leader in 1975 when the Sunday services
were being held in the auditorium of Prospect Street School. The inconvenience
of transporting equipment across the street each week gave impetus to a move
forward on construction plans. Again as God miraculously intervened, ground
breaking for a new edifice occurred on November 16, l975.
With God’s gift of an extremely mild winter, the church building was
dedicated to God on April 11,l976. The choir sang several numbers with Gordon
Bleacher as director. The theme,’To God be the Glory’, inscribed on the
cornerstone was heartfelt praise to God . He had provided the facilities and
left to the congregation the challenge of reaching this community for Him. The
name of the church was changed to Pinebrook Assembly of God, reflecting the
natural surroundings-a pine grove and a brook forming the north boundary.
During the ensuing years, a deaf ministry was carried on. Pastor John Harmon
established a Christian school in the facility and built an auxiliary building.
Through the years many lives were touched by God and drawn to Himself.
The congregation now stands on the
threshold of a new era, following Pastor John Marston’s vision for again a
larger sanctuary. This edifice is a testimony to God’s faithfulness and the
faithfulness of those saints that labored in this area, many of whom have
already gone on to receive their reward.
PSALM OF LIFE.
Tell me not in mournful numbers,
"Life is but an empty dream!"
For the soul is dead that slumbers,
And things are not what they seem.
Life is real! Life is earnest!
And the grave is not its goal;
"Dust thou art, to dust returnest,"
Was not spoken of the soul.
Not enjoyment, and not sorrow,
Is our destined end or way;
But to act, that each to-morrow Find us further than to-day.
Art is long, and Time is fleeting,
And our hearts, though stout and brave,
Still, like muffled drums, are beating Funeral marches to the grave.
In the world's broad field of battle,
In the bivouac of Life,
Be not like dumb, driven cattle!
Be a hero in the strife!
Trust no Future, however pleasant!
Let the dead Past bury its dead!
Act -- act in the living Present!
Heart within, and God overhead!
Lives of great men all remind us
We can make our lives sublime,
And, departing, leave behind us
Footprints on the sands of time;
Footprints, that perhaps another,
Sailing o'er life's solemn main,
A forlorn and shipwrecked brother,
Seeing, shall take heart again.
Let us, then, be up and doing,
With a heart for any fate;
Still achieving, still pursuing,
Learn to labour and to wait,
By Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1807-1882).